- Military Publishers' Designations. A pdf version of this invaluable MCG publication compiled by Graham Webster. Note the 'health warning' at the beginning! We hope to start updating the document in the near future.
- The BCS Historical Military Mapping Special Interest Group may be of interest
- US Cloth Maps of World War II website
- The Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society (the RSPSoc)
A society formed from a merger between the Remote Sensing Society and the Photogrammetric Society
- The National Collection of Aerial Photography (NCAP) in Edinburgh holds over 26 million aerial photographs of places around the world.
- The GeoInformation Group Provider of high-resolution aerial photography, satellite imagery products and services and other mapping data
- GetMapping.com Provider of aerial photography
- Cambridge University Collection of Aerial Photography (CUCAP) Catalogue available online
- EarthExplorer images from USGS
- Air Bus Defence and Space Provider of SPOT remote sensing images
- Multi-Agency Geographic Information for the Countryside (MAGIC). A one-stop shop for rural and countryside information
- Data.gov.uk A locator for various sets of geographical data
- GoGeo. Was a discovery resource for geospatial information run by EDINA but funding ceased on 31 July 2016
- MAGIRT's Map & Geospatial Resources Guide
- ShareGeo. A spatial data repository - a place where researchers, students and lecturers at UK HEFE institutions can deposit data for anyone to download and use.
- There are a number of projects which involve the digitisation of paper maps taking place. A list of such projects in GB is being compiled by Anne Taylor at the instigation of BRICMICS. Information on projects that should be added to the list is very welcome (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- There was a lot of useful information on the website for JISC Digital Media (previously Technical Advisory Service for Images, TASI), a service that gives advice on digitisation issues to the higher education community. However, the service was retired on 31 July 2016.
- The Digital Preservation Coalition
- ERPANET is concerned with approaches to existing and future digital preservation problems
- MAGERT Electronic Publication No. 3 is the very useful Metadata Primer for Map Librarians
- UKOLN (the UK Office for Library Networking) has metadata forum (Note: UKOLN ceased to operate on 31 July 2015)
- OS Net Services for professional surveyors, geodesists and GIS developers from Ordnance Survey. See also, for example, their explanation of the National Grid
- Great Circle Distance Calculator. There are many more of these on the web. This is an example from John A. Byers
- Transverse Mercator Calculator
A facility for converting latitude/longitude co-ordinates to co-ordinates in metres on a Transverse Mercator projection
- National Geodetic Survey (USA) Geodetic Tool Kit
- FieldenMaps.info. Includes a co-ordinate converter for OS and other maps.FieldenMaps.info. Includes a co-ordinate converter for OS and other maps.
- Some of the links on the Cambridge University Library Map Department website may also be useful
These pages were compiled by: April Carlucci (British Library Map Library); Tinho da Cruz (Department of Geography, University of Liverpool), and; Anne Taylor (Cambridge University Library). They are maintained by the Map Curators' Group of the BCS. Colleagues are requested to help keep this information current by suggesting corrections or additions