— 4th May 2017
- Location: Fareham, Hampshire
- Company: NATS
- Salary: Negotiable
- Closing Date: 31/05/2017
NATS is the UK's leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres and 14 airports in the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally.
We are passionate about being an equal opportunities employer, treating all colleagues in a fair and respectful manner. We appreciate and value the diversity of our employees and the inclusive environment we work in. Having employees with a wide range of skills, knowledge, creativity, innovation and energy is important to us, and allows us to be the industry leaders we are.
NATS is recruiting for an Aeronautical Cartographer to be part of NATS Aeronautical Information Management (AIM) function which is contracted to deliver the UK Aeronautical Information Service.
This role is responsible for the release and delivery of aeronautical data to aviation customers ensuring that they are fully informed of the quality of the data and its limitations. Many of these operators use these charts as a primary source of information.
- Creating and maintaining cartographic products for various stakeholders and customers in international and bespoke formats including the Integrated Aeronautical Information Publication
- Delivering aeronautical charts and graphics to external parties and customers for aviation usage
- Minimising AIM’s services and products contribution to the risk of aircraft accident as far as is reasonably possible
- Detailed data verification and issue resolution before suspect data is used in AIM cartographic products
- Liable for the integrity of any data provided to customers on a commercial basis.
- Manipulating aeronautical data in a quality assured environment and being capable of producing quality controlled products
- Remain competent in the production methods and standards of up to 15 ICAO aeronautical chart specifications
- Collaboratively develop and maintain QA and QC procedures for data management, data handling and IAIP production, to be included in a QMS developed to ISO 9000/2001 criteria and compliant the EC Regulation 73/2010
Qualifications and Skills
- BTEC/ONC (or preferably have an HTEC/HNC) or equivalent in Cartography and Surveying with professional experience within the field of cartography
- Operational Aviation experience and knowledge of Co-ordinate systems and associated aeronautical data and information including Aircraft performance, Aerodynamics, Magnetism, Maps and Charts, Co-ordinate systems, map projections, Avionics, Navigation Systems including; ground based, space based and airborne systems, Radar performance, Mathematics ( A-level or equivalent standard), AIS provision and usage
- Various chart user requirements obtained either through detailed aeronautical cartographic experience and/or via the acquisition of a Private Pilot’s Licence
- ICAO Annex 4, ICAO Chart Manual, chart production processes – compilation to finished printed product – and all interim stages
- Knowledge and understanding of all aeronautical chart types
- Knowledge of ICAO Annexes 15 and Docs 8126, 8400, 8168
- Critically analyse data
- IT skills including particular relevance to aeronautical cartographic package
Additional vacancy information
In addition to salary, NATS offers a range of excellent benefits which includes 26 days leave, increasing to 28 days after 1 year’s service plus statutory leave and a top class contributory DC pension scheme.
This application can be provided in paper form or large print
NATS Talent Acquisition Team
Please apply to: