Burnham Lecturer - Cartography & GIS Salary minimum £30,437 per annum LocationThatcham, South West UK
The purpose of the role is to deliver and manage subject matter expertise in Cartography and Geospatial Information Dissemination (GID) to ensure the effective delivery of training to all courses. Additionally the post will require competence in the use and application of Geographic Information System software.
The post will have the following responsibilities:
- Delivering line management support to the Cartography department staff.
- Delivering instruction on MSc, FDSc, RE Geo (TA) and Defence courses.
- Providing technical/doctrinal leadership to the Cartography department.
- Under direction of course leaders, fulfilling the management function for specific MSc and FDSc modules and for the delivery of additional training in cartography, map science, QC/QA and GID.
- Ensuring quality control in training provision across the Cartography department in terms of technical content and where required, coaching departmental instructors to improve subject matter expertise and training delivery.
- Conducting periodic reviews of doctrine, theory and analysis tools against the deployable cartographic and information dissemination capability, proposing enhancements or changes to capability and implementing changes to training delivery when required.
- Maintaining contextual and technical currency in the area of technical expertise and providing CPD opportunities to the department, Wing and RSMS, as appropriate.
- Proposing a minimum of 2 research ideas per year for MSc research projects and be prepared to supervise students for both MSc and undergraduate research.
1. It is essential that candidates hold a L6 degree in Cartography or an aligned subject. It is desirable that they hold a L7 (Masters/Postgraduate) qualification, as the role involves the supervision of MSc level research.
2. Candidates must hold a L5 (or higher) teaching qualification such as a Certificate in Education.
3. It is desirable, but not essential, that candidates have relevant teaching experience, at up to L7.
For further information regarding this vacancy please contact the recruiting line manager, Maj Corinne Woods, on:
Telephone: 01635-204286 or Email: DISCRSMS-GIM-SI@mod.uk
quoting ref: 1362121