|Can you design a map to help a charity better understand and communicate its data?|
If yes, why not get involved in the world’s first charity Mapathon?
The developer world has been utilising Hackathon’s for a number of years to rapidly create software for a common, often charitable purpose.
The BCS Mapathon adopts the same principles but rather than software our output will be high quality cartographic products that reveal previously unseen patterns in the data or maps the charity can use for marketing purposes.
Working with data supplied by the charity teams or individuals from the cartographic community will gather together to share their ideas, skills and experience for the benefit of others.
- On-site participants only
- Participants must check into the Mapathon room and review the rules in order to be eligible for prizes
- Submissions must be made electronically and must be suitable for publication in print, online or both
To ensure the success of the Mapathon attendees are required to bring along their own computer and cartographic software. Wi-Fi will be available to access online tools such as ArcGIS Online and Google if required.
Install media for evaluation copies of ArcGIS for Desktop can be provided on the day or downloaded in advance from here. Please contact Rob Sharpe in advance if you require an install DVD.
09:00 - Doors Open
09:30 - Mapathon Kickoff
10:00 - Mapathon Begins
14:00 - Team Presentations
15:00 - Team Presentations
15:45 - Judging and announcement of winners
Judges will evaluate maps for the following elements:
- Map must be of benefit to charity’s operations
- Innovation and creative mapping output
- Potential for Real-World use
- Each team will have an opportunity to present their work. A panel of judges will review the projects and award prizes
Will be awarded on the day.
The BCS Mapathon is FREE to attend but prebooking is required and can be completed here.
Food and Drinks
Refreshments and snacks will be provided throughout the day to all teams who compete on-site.