Senior Consultant in Cartography
Salary: £32,173 - £39,509
It is an exciting time for Cartography. The demand for our services is changing, with customers increasingly expecting all datasets to be up-to-date and the same currency. There is user demand for the new content, via new product output and services, particularly to meet digital and on-line user needs.
At the same time technological change has enabled new production methods. We can derive maps very quickly after the data has been acquired, deliver data through many mediums – digitally & wirelessly and automatically derive different products from Geospatial data.
This is a great time to join our Cartography operation, to be involved in meeting the changing demand for our services and to take advantage of new technologies. You will provide technical leadership for Cartographic system improvement, undertaking and guiding development, and influencing decisions that ensure appropriate GI technologies are chosen, developed and implemented.
You will lead on technical development and research projects which test emerging technologies and enable Cartography to take advantage of appropriate technical advances. Maintaining & developing your own technical skills, you will also provide technical leadership for the Carto Developer team to enhance technical capabilities, to provide creative, flexible and cost effective solutions. Contributing to the technical strategy formulation & design and support the implementation of solutions to enhance Cartography’s delivery capability. You will provide expertise both internally and externally to OS on GI and other tools that enable improved automation and quality of cartographic processes. You will be an ‘ambassador’ for technical development in Cartographic processes when sharing information both within OS and externally. Developing the Carto Developers in the team so that they have the necessary skills to deliver the required improvements.
Knowledge & Skills:
Assist the design team to provide company-wide cartographic support services, including the design and production of:
- Advanced GIS toolset knowledge – Arc Map/ArcServer/Model Builder
- Coding and software development – ideally knowledge of Python, FME, ESRI Production Mapping
- IT knowledge – knowledge of databases & data models
- Track record of influencing and implementing technical improvements in a GI environment
- Delivering at pace – overcoming barriers to deliver technical improvements
- Changing & improving – steering technical development to bring about business change
- Leading & communicating – providing authoritative technical leadership for the development of Cartographic systems and processes
To apply or for more information please visit the Ordnance Survey website.
Posted: 6th July 2014
Closing Date: 22nd July 2014