Thank you for visiting the British Cartographic Society (BCS) website.
It is our aim to bring the world of cartography to your fingertips with information about how maps are made and who makes them. We hope you find the information useful and entertaining.
You are welcome to browse this site and print out any of the material from it providing that it is for your personal, non commercial use only and that you keep intact all copyright and other propriety notices (see further notes below).
Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure that the information on this site is accurate at the time of publication, The BCS accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions, nor is the Society liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use or performance of this web site or its contents, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. Visitors who rely on this information do so at their own risk.
Copyright and neighbouring rights
The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The copyright protected material (other than logos) may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium for research, private study or for internal circulation within an organisation. This is subject to the material being reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. Where any of the copyright items on this site are being republished or copied to others, the source of the material must be identified, the copyright status must be acknowledged, and any usage fees incurred must be paid.
The permission to reproduce material does not extend to anything on this site identified as being the copyright of a third party. Authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained from the copyright holders concerned.
The BCS encourages users to establish hypertext links to our site.
You do not have to ask permission to link directly to pages hosted on the BCS website. We do not object to you linking directly to our information.
However, we do not permit the use of our logos as promotional or hypertext objects, unless previously arranged through our administrator.
The BCS website contains links to sites not under our control. Although we try to choose those sites which will be helpful to you, we are not responsible for the quality, safety, completeness, accuracy or nature of the content of such sites and we cannot guarantee that such content may change without our knowledge. We provide these links simply as a convenience to you and this convenience should not be considered an endorsement by us of these websites or the companies who own them.
Entry into this site assumes an agreement on your part to accept the above terms. This agreement shall be governed by English Law.
Fair Processing Statement
All information will be managed in accordance with the Data Protection Principles set out in the Data Protection Act 1998 and listed below.
* Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully.
* Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
* Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
* Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
* Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
* Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act.
* Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
* Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
- BCS Administration 2006
Fair Processing Notice Who processes your personal data?
The information which you the 'data subject' provide to The British Cartographic Society is processed only by the Society, which is the 'data controller' for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998.
What is your personal data used for?
The personal data that you provide is used by the Society
1. to manage your membership so that you may continue to receive the benefits provided by the Society;
2. to enable BCS Council members and other officers of the Society to perform their duties efficiently;
3. to facilitate communication within Special Interest Groups by making the contact details of Group members available within the Groups (proposed);
4. to maintain a list of members and contact addresses in a secure area of the Society’s website which can only be accessed by other members (proposed).
Will the BCS use your personal data for any other purpose?
The British Cartographic Society will not use your personal data for any other purpose without your consent.
Will the BCS disclose your personal data to anyone else?
The British Cartographic Society will not disclose the personal information that you provide to any outside person or organisation except where required to do so by law or with your own consent.
- BCS Administration 2006
Please Contact Us
with regard to The British Cartographic Society.