|Map Curators' Toolbox > |
Page 1 :: Page 2 :: Page 3 :: Page 4 :: Page 5 :: Page 6 :: Page 7 :: Page 8
Higher Education Resources :: Dating a map :: Security issues :: Co-operative ventures :: Miscellaneous
Higher Education Resources
There are a number of datasets available to Higher Education establishments through JISC agreements.
- Digimap - delivers Ordnance Survey online maps and data for mapping
- UKBORDERS - provides boundary data for the UK, both current and historical, for thematic and statistical mapping
- GoGeo - a geo-spatial resource discovery tool
- Landmap - provides orthorectified satellite image mosaics of Landsat, SPOT and ERS radar data and a high resolution Digital Elevation Model for the British Isles
- There is a lot of useful information on the website for the JISC Digital Media, a service that gives advice on digitisation issues to the higher education community
Dating a map
- To date a Geographia Limited map
The date is usually disguised by the 'CUMBERLAND' code whereby the letters CUMBERLAND corresponds to the numerals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, so that, B.RL. becomes 4.67 that is, April 1967. Not all Geographia maps include a date code
- A comprehensive guide to dating maps printed by John Bartholomew and Sons of Edinburgh has been provided by Ken Winch
- Phil Hoehn has compiled a page of date codes for maps on the WAML site
- There is some useful information on European oil company road maps on the Petrol Maps website including a specific section
- Replogle Globes has a web page of major, selected political changes to assist in estimating the age of a world map or globe
- From the History of Cartography gateway website, articles about and links to information about the thefts of early maps, including a report on the seminar “Responding to Theft” held in 2002 at the National Library of Wales
Miscellaneous but interesting!
These pages have been compiled by: April Carlucci (British Library Map Library); Tinho da Cruz (Department of Geography, University of Liverpool), and; Anne Taylor (Cambridge University Library). Please Contact Us with any suggestions for inclusion, and details of links that don't work.
Page last updated: 29/5/13