United Kingdom Hydrographic Office
- Collection Name: Hydrographic Archive
- Reference Number: 009
- Date of last revision: 10 August 2010
- Address: Ritchie Block, Admiralty Way, Taunton, Somerset TA1 2DN
- Person in charge: Adrian Webb, Archive Services Manager
- Contact telephone number(s): 01823 337900 Ext. 4340
- Contact email address: email@example.com
- Website: www.ukho.gov.uk/AboutUs/Pages/Corporate.aspx
- Access: RESTRICTED ACCESS. The Hydrographic Office, being part of the MoD, is not normally open to members of the public. However, visitors engaged on commercial or historical research are permitted by appointment only, subject to certain restrictions, to consult documents in the Archive.
- Facilities for copying: Copies of documents can be supplied - a scale of charges is available.
Content: Ca. 150,000 record copies of British Admiralty navigational and miscellaneous charts, and published chart catalogues; 100,000 hydrographic surveys, reports and geodetic data; 14,000 ocean sounding sheets; 45,000 foreign charts and published chart catalogues; 2,000 aerial photoplots; 3,500 copper plates; 1M. Notices to Mariners; views; atlases; manuscript papers, letters, journal, logs, etc., (mainly 19th century). Other textual hydrographic information held in several hundred thousand files.
Catalogues, card and graphic indexes, continually updated; microfilm and photographic reproductions; loans of data, publications and records; information service.
A list of record agents is available.
See http://www.ukho.gov.uk/AboutUs/Pages/Corporate.aspx click on the tab marked The Archive