Welcome to the world of mapping! Membership of the British Cartographic Society is open to all with an interest in maps and cartography and brings a range of excellent benefits, from cutting-edge publications to special discounts.
Best of all, you are joining a dynamic community of mapping companies, publishers, designers, academics, researchers, map curators, individual cartographers, GIS specialists and members of the public, from the UK and beyond.
You can join the BCS as an individual or your organisation can join as a Corporate Member. We also encourage schools and universities to become Educational Members. In addition to the superb benefits that individual Members receive (see below), Corporate Members can put their company details and product information on our website and get a free stand at the Society’s Annual Symposium. Educational Members are entitled to receive a free Restless Earth workshop in the academic year and all Members can submit articles for publication about their interests and products to the team who edit the Society’s magazine, Maplines.
Membership benefits include:
- A subscription to The Cartographic Journal - the Society's peer-reviewed periodical, containing cutting-edge technical articles, news and reviews of all aspects of the cartographic profession (4 Issues per year)
- A subscription to Maplines - the Society's magazine, containing information on activities, lecture programmes and professional opportunities (3 Editions per year)
- Membership of a Special Interest Group - catering for specialised interests and activities and provide directories, catalogues, forums and workshops
- An invitation to the Society's Annual Symposium - our established training and networking event that includes the Gala Dinner and Awards Ceremony
- Fellowship - Fellowship of the British Cartographic Society (FBCartS) is bestowed by the BCS Council upon members who have sufficiently contributed to the cartographic profession and/or who have been long-standing members of the Society. View notes on becoming a Fellow or Contact Us for a Fellowship Application Form
- Freelance Cartographers Directory - an opportunity for self-employed members to advertise on this website
- Ordnance Survey Discount - 25% off Paper Maps, Custom Made, Historical and OS Maps in the OS online shop
- Stanfords Discount - 10% off in the Stanfords online shop
- Charles Close Society Discount - buy CCS publications at the same preferential prices given to CCS Members
Additional benefits for Corporate Members:
- Two copies of The Cartographic Journal and Maplines per Issue/Edition
- Free insertion of product news in Maplines
- Corporate Members Directory - an opportunity for all Corporate Members to advertise their work and list contact details and a biography. Award winners may, in agreement with the Society, use the Society's logo in their publicity material
- An invitation to join the Exhibition at the Society's Annual Symposium
Membership is available in a number of categories, so click here to find out more.