Clear Mapping Co are pleased to offer you 3 one day courses in Liverpool and Oxford, supported by the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC). We are running these courses at University of Liverpool and University of Oxford.
Introduction to QGIS: Understanding and Presenting Spatial Data – Liverpool
20th November 2017 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Please note this course can be taken as a one-day course, or can also be taken in conjunction with another one-day course on 21 November 2017.
This course will introduce spatial data and show you how to import and display spatial data with the free open source GIS program QGIS. We will also show you how to create choropleth maps and explain appropriate methods of visualising spatial data. We will also cover some basic spatial data analysis (e.g. calculating rates).
This course is ideal for anyone who wishes to use spatial data in their role. This includes academics, commercial users, government & other public sector researchers who have data with some spatial information (e.g. address, postcode, etc.) which they wish to show on a map. This course is also suitable for those who wish to have an overview of what spatial data can be used for. No previous experience of spatial data is required.
No previous experience of GIS or QGIS is required, but some experience of using spatial data will be beneficial.
• Understand spatial data and what it can and can’t be used for
• Use QGIS to view and symbolise spatial datasets
• Appropriate symbology for choropleth maps
• Joining spatial and non-spatial data
• Be able to set up QGIS and add data
• Understand how to add data with a latitude / longitude coordinate
• Join tabular data to spatial data
• Understand how to undertake simple calculations
• Understanding how to classify data for representation on a map
• Designing and producing a publication-ready map in QGIS
• Saving/exporting your maps as image files
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
£60- UK registered students – register here
£100 – staff at UK academic institutions and research centres, UK-registered charity and voluntary organisations, staff in public sector and government – register here
£300 – all other participants including staff from commercial organisations – register here
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.
Numbers on the course are limited and allocated on a first come, first served basis.