The Map Curators' Group (MCG) is for librarians, curators, archivists, map historians and map collectors - anyone interested or involved in looking after map collections. A newsletter, Cartographiti, is issued up to 3 times a year; an annual workshop and occasional training days are also arranged.
If you are a member of the British Cartographic Society you can ask to also be a member of MCG. However, you do not need to be a member of the British Cartographic Society to join the group and you do not need to be a member of MCG to take part in activities. If you wish, you can become a member of MCG by subscribing to our newsletter Cartographiti.
- The Convener, amongst other things, represents MCG on BRICMICS. In September 2018 Paula Williams, Curator of Maps, Mountaineering & Polar Collections at the National Library of Scotland was confirmed as the new Convener. The position had been vacant for a few months following the death of our long standing convener, Ann Sutherland, on Monday, 25 June 2018
2019 Annual Workshop - Call for Papers
The Map Curators’ Group (MCG) of the British Cartographic Society will hold its Annual Workshop in Southampton on Wednesday 11th September 2019. The venue is Ordnance Survey Head Office (SO16 0AS). The Workshop is part of the pre-conference programme of the British Cartographic Society and Society of Cartographers annual conference
The MCG workshop theme will be:
Map collection development: dispersal, disposal and digital transition
The organisers are calling for proposals for presentations to be given at the Workshop on a relevant theme which might include:
- Map collection selection, weeding and disposal
- Map collecting policies
- Map digitisation
- Digital map service provision
- Map collection management and storage (both physical and digital)
- Moving a map collection or reading room
Presentations should last approximately 25 minutes, and are generally made using PowerPoint.
Please send proposals to the MCG Convener, Paula Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday 23rd April 2019.
- 2017 Annual Workshop, County Durham, 5 - 6 September 2017
- 2016 Workshop in Edinburgh, 15-16 September
- The Map Curators' Toolbox - An online source of information and help for map curators, librarians and archivists, sponsored by the Map Curators' Group of the British Cartographic Society
- Directory of UK Map Collections
- MCG_LIBER2002 [PDF]