— News release: 4th December 2019
- Location: Swanwick
- Company: NATS
- Closing Date: 18/12/2019
NATS is the UK’s leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. It provides air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally.
We are currently recruiting for an Aeronautical Cartographer to be part of NATS Aeronautical Information Management (AIM) function which is contracted to deliver the UK Aeronautical Information Service.
This role is responsible for the release and delivery of aeronautical data to aviation customers ensuring that they are fully informed of the quality of the data and its limitations. Over 1300 charts including AIXM data-driven aeronautical charts and other graphical products and chart types are maintained as part of UK AIS. Approximately 125 charts are updated and compiled from over a hundred change requests every 28 days. Many of these operators use these charts as a primary source of information.
- Responsible for minimising AIM’s services and products contribution to the risk of aircraft accident as far as is reasonably possible.
- Responsible for detailed data verification and issue resolution before suspect data is used in AIM cartographic products.
- Responsible and liable for the integrity of any data provided to customers on a commercial basis.
- Responsible for manipulating aeronautical data in a quality assured environment and being capable of producing quality-controlled products.
- Responsible to remain competent in the production methods and standards of up to 15 ICAO aeronautical chart specifications.
- Responsible to collaboratively develop and maintain QA and QC procedures for data management, data handling and IAIP production, to be included in a QMS developed to ISO 9000/2001 criteria and compliant the EC Regulation 73/2010
Qualifications and Skills
- BTEC/ONC (or preferably have an HTEC/HNC) or equivalent in Cartography and Surveying with professional experience within the field of cartography.
- Demonstrable operational Aviation experience and knowledge of Co-ordinate systems and associated aeronautical data and information including Magnetism, Maps and Charts, Co-ordinate systems, map projections, Avionics, AIXM/AICM, ARINC 424, Navigation Systems including; ground based, space based and airborne systems, Radar performance, Mathematics (A-level or equivalent standard), AIS provision and usage.
- Demonstrable understanding of various chart user requirements. Obtained either through detailed aeronautical cartographic experience and/or via the acquisition of a Private Pilot’s Licence
- Demonstrable understanding of ICAO Annex 4, ICAO Chart Manual, chart production processes – compilation to finished printed product – and all interim stages
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of all aeronautical chart types.
- Good knowledge of ICAO Annexes 15 and Docs 8126, 8400, 8168
- Analytical, systems-thinking approach to complex tasks in a workflow-based environment
- Ability to work within a small team of highly qualified experienced staff
- Ability to prioritise ad-hoc requests for data output
- Ability to critically analyse data and information received and make an assessment as to its importance
- Adherence to processes and procedures with a focus on safety and quality
- Excellent IT skills including particular relevance to aeronautical cartographic packages.
Additional vacancy information
In addition to salary, NATS offers a range of excellent benefits which includes 26 days leave, increasing to 28 days after 1 years’ service plus statutory leave and a top-class contributory DC pension scheme.