Cumbria County Council
- Collection Name: Cumbria Archive and Local Studies, Whitehaven
- Reference Number: 565
- Date of last revision: 11 July 2017
- Address: 26 Scotch Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7NL
- Person in charge: Catherine Clark
- Contact telephone number(s): 01946 506 420
- Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives
- Opening hours: Wednesday-Friday: 09:30-17:00
- Access: Access original archives on production of a valid CARN (County Archive Research Network) ticket
- Facilities for copying: Some copying provided by staff onsite, depending on condition, format and copyright restrictions. Cumbria Archives Service also provides high quality copies through the Digitisation Service based at Carlisle.
Alternatively public can purchase a photography permit and take their own pictures (subject to copyright and physical condition).
- Catalogues available: Catalogues in search room and available to browse on CASCAT via http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/Online_catalogues
Content: Whitehaven Archive Centre holds maps of local estates and parishes, and some parish copies of Tithe and Enclosure maps where deposited. The Centre also holds significant coverage of coal and iron ore mine plans. It also has the set of non-coal mine abandonment plans for Cumbria.
The Local Studies collection includes late 19th and 20th century OS maps for West Cumberland as well as GOAD, harbour, railway and geological maps of West Cumberland. There are also Admiralty charts and mapping of agricultural classification and land utilisation.
Published by: Clare Gordon