National Maritime Museum
- Collection Name: National Maritime Museum
- Reference Number: 057
- Date of last revision: 25 May 2017
- Address: Royal Museums Greenwich, Park Row, Greenwich, London, SE10 9NF
- Person in charge: Curator of Cartography
- Contact telephone number(s): (020) 8858 4422 (direct) / (020) 8858 4422 Ext 6757
- Website: www.rmg.co.uk/discover/researchers/research-guides/research-guide-p1-charts-and-maps-national-maritime-museum
- Opening hours: Library: 1000-1645 Tuesday to Friday; 1000-1300 and 1400-1645 Saturday.
- Access: Readers must be registered to use the Library (requires 2 forms of ID);
Loose charts and maps must be requested by 1230 the day before they are required;
access to the globe and portolan collection should be arranged through firstname.lastname@example.org ;
many objects viewable via the online catalogue http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html
- Facilities for copying: Photography for personal research purposes permitted; commercial photography can be arranged.
Content: Circa 40,000 loose charts, 1,000 atlases and 230 globes. Collection ranges from the 15th century to the present day. Predominantly European-made objects. Personal map collections include those of Lord Grenville, Foreign Minister 1791-1801, John Lort Stokes (1812-1884), Royal Naval surveyor, and the Dartmouth collection of colonial maps of Ireland.
For a more extensive description of the collection see: http://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/researchers/research-guides/research-guide-p1-charts-and-maps-national-maritime-museum
Online catalogue http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html