Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures
- Collection Name: Lisa Sainsbury Library: Cortazzi Map Collection
- Reference Number: 567
- Date of last revision: 26 October 2017
- Address: 64 The Close, Norwich, NR1 4DH
- Person in charge: Akira Hirano (Librarian)
- Contact telephone number(s): 01603 597 511
- Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: sainsbury-institute.org/library/
- Opening hours: Mon-Fri 0900-1700 (Library is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, Bank holidays and during the Institute holidays at Easter and Christmas)
- Access: Open to the public by appointment only
- Facilities for copying: Colour photocopying available (A4, A3 size)
- Catalogues available: Online catalogue:
- Other Information: Long-term loan from Sir Hugh and Lady Cortazzi. Sir Hugh was formerly the British ambassador to Japan and is a noted scholar in his own right.
Content: Approx. 70 items of printed maps of Japan and East Asia, bird's-eye view illustrations and porcelain map plates on Japan.
Almost two thirds of them are European maps dated from 1522 to middle of the 19th century.
Others are Japanese ones mostly from mid to the late Edo period (1603 - 1867), and some are from the Meiji era (1868 - 1912).