The British Library
- Collection Name: Department of Manuscripts
- Reference Number: 002
- Date of last revision: 13 December 2017
- Address: 96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB
- Person in charge: Tom Harper
- Contact telephone number(s): 02074127702
- Contact email address: email@example.com
- Website: www.bl.uk/collection-guides/manuscript-maps
- Opening hours: Tue-Sat: 9:30-17:00; Mon: 10:00-17:00
- Access: Access by reader’s pass. How to get a reader's pass - https://www.bl.uk/help/how-to-get-a-reader-pass.
For selected material you will need a letter of introduction.
Access to manuscripts and archives - http://www.bl.uk/help/access-manuscripts-and-archives.
For restricted material contact Reference Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facilities for copying: Items in our collections can be copied, subject to UK copyright legislation and preservation guidelines. The Library provides a range of copying services, some available in the Library's Reading Rooms, others available to remote customers.
Photography is allowed. Some restrictions may apply. Ask at the Reference Desk.
Post-classical, Medieval and Renaissance cartography; military, estate and architectural plans; nautical charts; and topographical drawings of Great Britain, the English-speaking world, Western Europe, the Mediterranean and oceanic areas.
Special collections include the RUSI MAP COLLECTION (approx. 900 items, l7th-2Oth centuries); the BAUZA COLLECTION of South American Cartography (ca.270 18th century manuscript maps); the COTTON 'AUGUSTUS' COLLECTION (ca.250 16th-17th century manuscript maps); and the maps of the parishes, baronies, counties and provinces of Ireland, mainly from William Petty's 'Down' Survey of 1655-58.
Printed catalogues available in Manuscripts Reading Room