Yorkshire Archaeological and Historical Society
University of Leeds
The Yorkshire Archaeological and Historical Society (known until recently as the Yorkshire Archaeological Society) has promoted the study of Yorkshire’s past since 1863, when it was created as the Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association. From as early as the 1860s the Society began to acquire books and manuscripts for its members to consult at its premises.
In 2016 the entire collection was deposited with the University of Leeds. It includes printed and manuscript maps and plans mainly relating to Yorkshire, and a collection of aerial photographs.
Online catalogue available via the Special Collections website:
Special Collections, Brotherton Library, University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT
Tim Procter (Collections and Engagement Manager, Archives and Manuscripts)
'+44 (0) 113 233 5518
Mon-Fri 09:00 - 17 :00; Sat 10:00 - 13:00. Closed between Christmas and New Year (inclusive) and on other public holidays. Please check our website for details
Prior appointment is required. Most items from this collection can be made available for consultation in the Special Collections reading room.
N.B. Special Collections require at least 2 working days' notice to retrieve from this collection.
Photocopying and photography by arrangement ; but because of the nature of the material photocopying items from the collection is not always permitted.
Publications include Catalogue of Maps and Plans in the Library of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society, G.E. Kirk (1937); Catalogue of Manuscripts and Deeds in the Library of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society 1867-1931 (reprinted 1986); Guide to the Archive Collections of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society 1931-1983, S. Thomas (1985).