Conservator of Maps, Amsterdam
— News release: 13th May 2019
- Location: Amsterdam
- Company: Vrije Universiteit
- Salary: € 2,709 to € 4,274 gross per month
There is a vacancy for the position of curator of the map collection, at the library of the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam.
Do you want to help teachers, researchers and students work with geo-information, on old maps or digitally? Then apply to the VU University Amsterdam.
As a curator you ensure that the collection of historical maps contributes as well as possible to education and research at VU University Amsterdam and where possible from others. Your knowledge of the collection allows you to respond well to the needs of teachers and researchers. You ensure that the collection is sustainable, usable and visible, digitally and physically. You also work together with the curators of the four other collections at VU Heritage & Collections.
You also play a central role in the Geoplaza platform: you advise teachers and researchers on the use of digital maps and you coordinate the services.
- purchase maps, atlases and literature in the field of cartography and GIS, in accordance with the collection (training) profile that fits in with education and research needs
- make a substantive contribution to and coordinate access to the historical collection within the available systems (such as LibSearch, Image Bank and Geoplaza) in collaboration with other departments of the UB
- taking care of communication about the collection
Research and educational support
- encouraging and advising on the use of historical maps and atlases in education and research
- providing education with and about the collection
- monitoring the quality of service when using map material
- advise on the use in education and research of digital maps (based on Geoplaza)
Policy and innovation
- further development of services in the field of the digital supply of maps (in particular around georeferenced map material)
- coordinating services from Geoplaza
Preservation, preservation, digitization
- coordinate and have restoration work carried out
- coordinate small digitization projects
- providing presentations and exhibitions with the collection inside and outside the VU
- academic work and thinking level, demonstrated by an MA or comparable in a relevant discipline
- experience in making heritage usable and/or visible for education and research
- knowledge of historical cartography, for supporting education and research
- knowledge of the possibilities of GIS for various forms of education and research, including Digital Humanities
- excellent command of the Dutch and English languages in both spoken and written
What we offer
A challenging position at a socially involved organization. Depending on education and experience on a full-time basis, the salary amounts to a minimum of € 2,709 (scale 10) and a maximum of € 4,274 (scale 10) gross per month. The position is classified according to UFO profile: Specialist scientific information 2 and is open to at least 0.8 FTE.
The employment contract is initially entered into for a period of 1 year, in any case from 01-09-2019. Extension of the employment contract is possible.
In addition, VU University Amsterdam has attractive secondary employment conditions and regulations that enable a good combination of work and private life, such as:
- a maximum of 41 vacation days with full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus
- contribution to travel expenses for commuting