Frequently Asked Questions


Can anyone join the BCS?

Yes, anyone with an interest in maps is welcome. You can join online here.

How do I renew my membership?

Subscriptions are due by 1 January each year. The easiest way to renew is to set up a standing order. Or you can pay online here.

Can anyone become a Fellow of the BCS?

In order to become a Fellow of the Society, you must have been a member for at least two years and match certain criteria.

I can't remember my membership number.

Contact us here and our administrator will let you know.

Careers in cartography

Where can I find a higher education course in cartography?

Visit our careers section for information about undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Can I do work experience at BCS?

Unfortunately, we can’t offer any work experience at the Society, but you can look at the corporate members directory and contact them to ask about opportunities.

Do you advertise cartographic job opportunities?

Visit our careers page to view job opportunities.

Map queries

I want someone to create a map for me. Who can I contact?

We have a number of corporate and freelance members who may be able to help you.

I have an old map. Can you tell me what it is worth?

We are not able to value old maps. But Cambridge University has a useful list of dealers in old maps and atlases which might help.

Do you accept donations of old maps and atlases?

Unfortunately, we can’t accept donations as a society, but we can ask our members who are map librarians if they are interested.

Media enquiries

I am a journalist and would like to speak to someone with cartographic expertise for a story. Who can help?

Contact our administrator with details of your specific requirement and we will see if we can find someone appropriate to help you.